''Carnesecca said: ''He's working on his jump shot. Although he'll never replace Mullin as a folk hero at St. John's, Berry has made it clear that this year he is The Truth. ''When it's time to get it done, he gets it done, and there's a greatness to that,'' said Bob Ferry, the general manager of the Washington Bullets. ''It makes me want to go out and work harder. ''He's more comfortable this year,'' said the St. John's coach. A supreme test was Georgetown.He had a slow first half, very slow.

The shot fell short, but Berry had been fouled.

For now, we shall leave that piece of knowledge between the coach and his haberdasher.His rival deep thinker, John Thompson, is known in sartorial circles primarily for his towel, generally worn over his shoulder or, at moments of stress, between his teeth.

'' said West. He's the most intimidating player we've played against,'' said Roy Chipman, the head coach at Pitt.

''TimesMachine is an exclusive benefit for home delivery and digital subscribers.This is a digitized version of an article from The Times’s print archive, before the start of online publication in 1996. ''For Berry, a 6-foot-8-inch, 215-pound forward, it was a long road from the Bronx, where he grew up, to Queens, where St. John's University is situated.

When he saw that I really was out playing basketball, he said, 'So, you really are interested in this.'

In 1983 Berry left New York for San Jacinto.In the last year Berry has undergone some subtle changes.For one, he no longer approaches each game as if it were a Broadway debut. John's has won 14 of its first 15 games, including its first two in the Big East, and is preparing for two big conference games this week -against Boston College tomorrow and Georgetown Saturday. But to him, a sweater of any other kind would not have smelled as sweet.Now, about two hours before his St. John's basketball team took the floor against Georgetown at the Capital Centre yesterday afternoon, Carnesecca reported a recent harrowing experience concerning the sweater. I remember one night he came out looking for me. ''In the college game, he's a man playing against kids.''St. ''We had a curfew but I kept coming in late. He left two years later after a leopard clawed his arm. Well, he had the cold for two weeks, or four games ago. ''Jerry West likes what he sees. Along the way, there have been only two basic questions about Berry: Can he carry St. John's, perhaps all the way to the Final Four, and will he turn pro after the season.The first question has partially been answered: Berry can carry the Redmen.That point was made last Thursday in a 35-point performance as St. John's opened its Big East season against Providence.Providence had taken an an 86-84 lead on a jump shot by Billy Donovan with 3 seconds left and had left St. John's for dead.Ron Rowan took the ball out under the Providence basket, while Berry set up 10 feet away and to the right of the St. John's basket, where he was immediately surrounded by three Providence players.Rowan threw a long pass and Berry outleaped his defenders to control the ball. When the dust had cleared, the Redmen of St. John's were again leading by 18 points, 57-39. ''Last year I was excited about being back in New York, playing in front of my family and friends. For the time being, he's thinking no. Just overall basketball discipline.

1986 College Basketball Chevrolet Player of the Year @StJohnsBBall forward Walter "The Truth" Berry. He transferred after half a year to Morris High School because, he said, it was closer to home. 3 in the nation, would meet the Georgetown Hoyas, the defending national champions, undefeated this season and ranked tops in the country.In one swift stretch when the game seemed on the line, Berry demonstrated that if he wasn't ''The Truth,'' or the real thing, he's as close as you can get this side of Chris Mullin.St. ''I couldn't find it,'' he said. Although St. John's has an excellent starting five, depth is a problem.As for turning pro, Walter Berry Jr. is the only one who knows what Walter Berry Jr. is thinking. Beery next went to New York, where he found work in … ''We're in such a specialized field that we have ball handlers who can get the ball to Berry, we have outside shooters to hit the 20-foot shot. Where is it?' ''You know, when you're so good, people always tend to say, 'Well, how can he be better?' ''On defense he needs to learn how to play different people with intensity. He played basketball there and, deciding he wanted more exposure and the chance to play with some of his best friends, he transferred to Benjamin Franklin.Berry led Franklin to a city and state title in his senior year. ''He sees the game very well, and he has genuine knowledge of the game,'' Carnesecca said. And three decades removed from being declared as The Truth, Walter Berry is considered by basketballdom as a bust. Was it the same as before the washing?The answer, after yesterday afternoon, is an unequivocal yes.Carnesseca said that the sweater, a gift from a friend in Italy, was first worn when he had developed cold.When was that? But he no longer plays as if he has to prove himself in each game. He still smiles or frowns or does whatever the mood calls for on the court. Something that's mine. Walter "The Truth" Berry.

Orlando Magic Shop, Funny Music Quiz Questions, PUBG Size, Official Leave Letter, Air Traffic Controller - Hurry Hurry, Aarya Sushmita Sen, Paul Severino, Topock Restaurant, Scooby-doo And The Legend Of The Vampire Google Drive, Checks, Lies And Videotape, Lizard Squad, Curse Synonym, Delsey Chatelet, Ooh Poo Pah Doo Chords, Lorenzo Carcaterra Sleepers, José Rijo, Maaya Wiki, Best Emulator For Mobile Legends 2019, Mainland Invasion Of The United States, Gucci Outlet Locations, Heather Wright, Sprites Resource Snes, Ultimate Predator 2018, Pubg First Person Mobile, Voxx Automotive Products, Wham Bam Shang-a-lang, Them Movie, Rolling Stones Logo Svg, I Only Have Eyes For You The Crown, Munds Park Rv Homes For Sale, Living In Australia Pros And Cons, Saipan Japan, Giancarlo Esposito Net Worth, Ciel Nosurge Dx, Polywood Classic Folding Adirondack Chair, Dior Instagram Filter, Kilz Adhesion Primer Over Oil Based Paint, Risk Examples, What A Plot, Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells Iii, The Hard Corps, Queensland University, Scooby-doo And The Legend Of The Vampire Google Drive, Tyler Perry House Of Payne Season 7 Episode 3 Dailymotion, Fish Name List And Picture, Evan Barratt Nhl, Fleetwood Mac Album Covers Images, Ed O'Ross, Benny Andersson - Piano, Stella Gonet - Imdb, Tom Lehrer, Uss Oklahoma Survivors List, Home And Family Cancelled 2020, Can You Die From Eating Baking Soda, Login Form Bootstrap, The American Soldier, Ccc New Deal, Rukia Quotes, Johnny Cade Quotes, High Dive Andrew Mcmahon, Lola's Theme, John Legend Love Songs, Police Jobs, La Famille Bélier, Tiffany Color, Lynching In Houston, Texas 2020, 1931 China Floods, Marvin Gaye - Got To Give It Up Lyrics, Police Siren, Warrnambool City Centre, Sal Velez Jr Net Worth, Downtown Flagstaff Brewery, Shinobi Master Senran Kagura: New Link Wiki, Best Mail Order Food Gifts 2019, Breaking News Adelaide,