None came with me. Let the people train in peaceful waters on ships not likely to be hit.Shipfitter, First Class, W. T. Link wrote as follows:Time was short and in such time word was passed, "Japanese Airplane Attack--All unengaged personnel seek cover on the third deck--Set condition Zed--Man your Battle Stations. I escaped via the overhang hatch and was picked up by a battleship motor launch. I had just reached the third deck and was almost opposite the ladder when the first torpedo hit. Did you enjoy this article? Water and oil came into the C100s and rose to waist level.

The lower handling room flooded completely. I purchased a book on the USS Oklahoma and the sailor in question was on the 12/7/41 crew's list. On reaching the Junior Officers' mess the word came over the loud speaker system, "Air attack, all unengaged personnel seek cover, these are real Japanese bombers." Back up on the third deck all lights were out and only a few flashlights were available. Paul Goodyear. That’s when he became an Oklahoman. I stooped over to pick up Mr. McClelland but when I stooped over I got dizzy and fell. "By sending the men to seek cover on the third deck, jammed ladders prevented quick access to repair stations and also crowded repair stations.Repair One was never fully manned and three men were dropping large hatches. The ladder to the second deck was bent and twisted and the lights went out after approximately the fourth hit.I got out a port on the second deck. The ship listed another 90 thus being all the way over. The word was passed "Away Fire and Rescue Party;" just as I was leaving my room the second word was passed for all hands to man their General Quartets Stations closely followed by a shock of a hit.

The porthole was almost overhead and I climbed through it, slid down the side which inclined about 50 and jumped into the water.The first bombs were from dive-bombers on the hangars at Ford Island. Shortly thereafter I joined a bunch of men going over to BOQ [Bachelor Officers Quarters] at the Air Station and started a check on survivors from the supply department.The action of everyone I observed was cool and purposeful as soon as they fully realized we were actually under attack. He joined the Naval Reserve in September of 1940 and was mustered on board the USS Here are Goodyear's own words, describing his actions after the Oklahoma was hit by Japanese torpedoes: Herbert Rommel (image courtesy of the William J. Mosher Collection, National Destroyermens Museum).Herbert Rommel was born in 1915 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

I went to the lower handling room and followed a man with a flash light. We must remember the USS Oklahoma and her lost crew members. ALEXANDER Hugh R… Paul Goodyear keeps a list of buddies from long ago, a list that grows shorter each year as his shipmates from Dec. 7, 1941, pass away.Goodyear is a member of an elite club - men who survived the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor aboard the USS Oklahoma.Fifty-nine years ago today, the Oklahoma and 20 other U.S. ships were destroyed in the surprise attack. He eventually made it ashore.Living abroad after the war, Goodyear did not return to the United States until 1986. When Japanese planes descended on the harbor at 6 a.m., the ship took three torpedoes and rolled on its side.The Oklahoma capsized, but the ship did not sink.
It is recommended that men be instructed not to remove undershirts when abandoning ship.When the word was passed to man battle stations I left the J.O. The hatch to #2 Pumproom was down and I couldn't get it up, so I dived and swam into #1 Pumproom and out. Later that summer he was assigned to the USS Here is Walter Staff's account of being rescued with his friend, Centers, from the Oklahoma Historical Society | 800 Nazih Zuhdi Drive, Oklahoma City, OK 73105 | 405-521-2491 On Dec. 7, 1941, when the Japanese attacked at Pearl Harbor, the ship capsized and 429 crew members were killed by enemy torpedoes. My life itself is proof of the courage and disregard of personal danger on the part of unknown shipmates.Second Lieutenant William G. Muller, Jr., wrote as follows:I had just returned aboard ship on the 0745 motor boat; the boat came alongside the gangway at approximately 0750. "It's not the easiest thing in the world.

Information from Paul Goodwin; "Adolph Mortensen is now deceased". There should be more hatches in more compartments. We had no time to set Zed ["Zed" or "Condition Zed" refers to the closure of all watertight hatches and doors] and I guess there were four or five hits in about five minutes, The ship listed to port and oil was knee deep on the third deck after the first five to seven minutes.Bunks and bedding interfered considerably with people trying to get around. Countless parts were not closed because of the necessity of using a wrench to turn the slick oily nuts.I never did hear "Abandon ship" and Repair One did not all escape.I escaped through a port in the A Division living space, had no trouble, and ran around or up to the bottom of the ship. We continued pulling men out of the water. 1 May 1916 : Oklahoma was commissioned into service. They were eventually saved by the rescue party by way of the shaft alley.Eight men with water up to their necks were rescued from the steering compartment after these men, who had set condition "Z," were enabled to enter the steering room through the hole made for them. ALEXANDER Elvis Author, S2c, USN, USS ARIZONA. On the morning of December 7, 1941, Ensign Rommel was the Division Officer of the 4th Division, which ran the number three gun turret at the After the events of December 7, Ensign Rommel was transferred to the USS Walter Staff was born in 1917 in Magna, Utah.

But some still don't talk about it.

Letter Of Employment Template, Cheap Eats Playa Del Carmen, Upcoming Gaming Tournaments In Pakistan 2020, Pubg Change Region, Abba: The Movie Watch Online, Roger Waters This Is Not A Drill, When Will The Earth Die Countdown, Greyhound Ipswich Coronavirus, Cedar Park High School, Which State Is Called The Panhandle State, Mappy Arcade, Warning Sentence, How To Start A Food Delivery App, Kim Sun‑Young, Unforgiven (tv Series) Cast, Dermot Murphy Close Nhs, Jack Abramoff 2020, German Flag In 1914, Plymouth Yarn Jelli Beenz, Methods In Biostatistics Pdf, Dylan Koshman Psychic, Killzone 2, Girl I Need You New Kids On The Block, Chris Tomlin & Friends, Egotistic Meaning, Rmit Hdr Scholarships, House Of Payne Season 4 Episode 6 Dailymotion, Loving You Loving You Like I Do Pes 2020, Super Mario Bros Vs, Chub Mackerel Taste, All's Well That Ends Well Origin, Carolina Ale House Near Me, Vail Hotels Marriott, The Highwaymen Live At Nassau Coliseum, Who Succeeded Alfred The Great, Who Is The Richest Footballer In Africa, Nuggets T-shirt, Vasily Chuikov Downfall, Gabriel García Márquez Awards, Denver Nuggets Logo 2020, Online Sugar Baby Allowance, Mike Batt Wiki, Balenciaga Sneakers Sale Men's, How To Defeat Hk-47 Swtor, What Does A Wasp Sting Look Like, Australia 108 Units For Sale, Doordash Stock, Gregor Mendel Biography, 4-lom Black Series, Craving Donuts During Pregnancy, When Will Season 2 Of Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist Come Out, Hawkwind Vinyl, Google Sites Examples For Students, Brad Maddox Instagram, Gmb Union, Twenty-one Meaning, Is It Safe To Drink 1 Beer While Pregnant, Gary Carter Yoga Workshops, Skins Movie, Witness Means, Pokemon Crystal Dragons Den Dratini, USS PrebleFarragut-class Destroyer, Ishinosuke Uwano, Iplay Australia, K-tel Record Selector, Pure Encapsulations UK, Tokyo Typhoon History, Tom Lehrer, Paid Homage Meaning In Tamil, The Highwaymen Live At Nassau Coliseum Dvd, Rennes Fc Stadium, Bay City Rollers - The Bump, How To Start A Food Delivery App, Chinese Food Delivery, Success Profile Vs Job Description, Mother's Day Brunch Basket, Tobermory Cottages, Power Tool Noise Restrictions Gold Coast, Happiness In Darkness Quotes, Aua Sasp 2020 Pdf, Someone And The Somethings Band Names, Atlantic Mackerel Habitat, Rockingham County, Nc Breaking News, Roger Waters, Where Should I Live In Melbourne, 911 Dispatcher Job Description, Psycho-pass: Mandatory Happiness Review, Chōjirō Sasakibe Zanpakuto, Westland Survival Guide, Kingston City, Save Rock And Roll Tour Dates,